What a difference a companion makes! JVJ speaks with Cosette kindly as they walk through the dark woods. She tells of her hard life and he carries her load.
I believe that everything is about relationship. Healthy relationships are the main point. Walking together in a way that strengthens and reassures my companions is my goal. This is the Good News – our Companion is very close – and He is for us – not against us.
Every day, even the science and engineering work in which I am involved is immediately and ultimately about relationships:
- Relationships with co-workers as we team together to address challenging problems.
- Relationships with other staff in the building who have their way of contributing a common goal but who are quite unfamiliar with the technical work we are doing.
- Relationships with students, interns, and new-hires to help orient them in the technical world.
- Relationships with managers and collaborators who have their own agendas that may or may not coincide with ours.
- Relationships with those people all around the world who are benefitting from a higher standard of living due to the R&D that comes from our facility.
- Relationships with other drivers/commuters who line up at stop lights and rush to their own places of work each morning.
Then, of course there are the relationships in my neighborhood and community activities and in markets, etc…
The circumstantial problems may not be solved immediately, but those problems drive us to ask for help and offer help, leading to healthy relationship. Every thing obtained or done outside of relational involvement is empty and often destructive. But healthy relationship offers such great fulfillment and joy.
Let me look around. Let’s see, who is walking alone?